About Ahmed M. Hegab, MD
Dr. Ahmed Hegab has the distinction of completing training in gastroenterology, hepatology, transplant medicine and advanced biliary endoscopy at the Medical College of Virginia. Leveraging this uncommon range of expertise, he has secured fellowship grants and published several papers in the field of gastrointestinal and liver disease.
Prior to merging with the practice formerly known as GANV in 2006, Dr. Hegab was attending at Georgetown University’s Division of Transplant Surgery and managed a private GI practice. He has served as Clinical Assistant Professor at George Washington University Hospital. He has held several leadership roles including Chief of Gastroenterology, Director of Gastrointestinal Services, and Medical Director of GE Labs at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Dr. Hegab has previously served on the Board of Directors of the Medical Society of Northern Virginia. He is currently the Vice President of Clinical Affairs for Gastro Health’s Virginia based operations.
Despite the added responsibilities these positions bring, he continues to enjoy patient care. His particular interests include breakthrough therapies for common GI disorders such as InterStim for fecal incontinence, a new procedure to Northern Virginia. Dr. Hegab frequently receives 5-star reviews from his patients.
Well-respected by his peers, Dr. Hegab has been voted a “Top Doctor” in Northern Virginia Magazine. Outside the office, he is a busy Scout Master for the boy scouts and enjoys camping trips and the outdoors.
Dr. Hegab is also fluent in Arabic.
Conditions & Procedures
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux & GERD
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Bowel Control Therapy
- Capsule Endoscopy (Pill Cam)
- Colonoscopy (Screening & Diagnostic)
- EGD (Upper Endoscopy)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- PEG Placement
Having a procedure? It may not always be in the same location where you consulted with your doctor. Check with your doctor to make sure you’re headed to the right place.
- Vice President of Clinical Affairs, Virginia
- Clinical Assistant Professor at George Washington University Hospital
- Board of Directors, Medical Society of Northern Virginia, 2019-2020
- Previously Chief of Gastroenterology, Director of Gastrointestinal Services, and Medical Director of GE Labs at Inova Fairfax Hospital
Board Certified in Gastroenterology
Awards & Recognitions
- Northern Virginia Magazine, Top Doctor, 2020, 2021
- Washingtonian Magazine, Top Doctor, 2021