About Tonya L. Adams, MD
Dr. Tonya Adams is a Board-certificated Gastroenterologist practicing in Fairfax, Virginia. Her clinical areas of interest include Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Video Capsule Endoscopy and general gastrointestinal disorders. She graduated from The Medical College of Ohio, where she was awarded the Pathology Student Fellow Award and spent a year doing clinical research and teaching medical students. Dr. Adams went on to complete her Internal Medicine Residency at The Johns Hopkins University Medical Center and later completed her Gastroenterology Fellowship at Georgetown Medical Center. During her training, among other accolades, she co-authored a chapter in the highly referenced 'Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease' textbook and was accepted as a Poster Presenter at a National Digestive Disease Week Convention. She also served as the only Trainee Member on the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) Committee on Membership Training.
Dr. Adams was the first woman to join the Adult Gastroenterology branch of Gastro Health (Virginia) in 2002 and was named one of Washingtonians "Top Doctors" in Gastroenterology by her peers, after only four years in clinical practice. Since that time, her clinical excellence and community involvement have garnered consecutive year peer acknowledgement by The Washingtonian and other publications in the Washington, DC area. In 2021 alone, she was named a “Top Doctor” by Arlington Magazine, Northern Virginia Magazine, and The Washingtonian Magazine. Dr. Adams was a previous member of the Washington, D.C. Advisory Board of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), and served in other national leadership roles within the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), to include Chair of the Diversity Committee and Member of the Health & Public Policy Committee. In this capacity, she has presented to members of Congress on the importance of funding support for colorectal cancer screening, moderated sessions at national Gastroenterology meetings, and continues to be quite active in community education programs. Broadening her leadership roles, Dr. Adams is currently the first woman voted to serve on the Gastro Health Board of Directors and is actively involved on both the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Counsel and the Gastro Health GI Women's Network Board. In her spare time she enjoys tennis, cooking and spending time with family. She is notably a lifetime member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Conditions & Procedures
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux & GERD
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Colon Diseases & Polyps
- Colorectal (Colon) Cancer
- Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis
- Fecal Incontinence
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Swallowing Disorders
- Capsule Endoscopy (Pill Cam)
- Colonoscopy (Screening & Diagnostic)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- PEG Placement
3700 Joseph Siewick Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22033
3914 Centreville Rd.
Chantilly, VA 20151
3028 Javier Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22031
Having a procedure? It may not always be in the same location where you consulted with your doctor. Check with your doctor to make sure you’re headed to the right place.
- Chair of the Diversity Committee and Member of the Health & Public Policy Committee
- Co-authored a chapter in 'Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease' textbook
- Gastro Health Board of Directors
- Gastro Health Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Counsel
- Gastro Health GI Women's Network Board
- Poster Presenter at a National Digestive Disease Week Convention
Board Certified in Gastroenterology
Awards & Recognitions
- Arlington Magazine, Top Doctor, 2019, 2021
- Castle Connolly, Top Doctor
- Exceptional Women in Medicine, Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2021
- Northern Virginia Magazine, Top Doctor, 2020, 2021
- Washingtonian Magazine, Top Doctor, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Medical Society of Northern Virginia