About Andres Gelrud, MD, MMSc
Andres Gelrud, MD, MMSc, is a clinical pancreatologist who provides care for patients with acute, recurrent acute and chronic pancreatitis, as well as treatment of complications from pancreatitis. He also has expertise in interventional endoscopy, a minimally invasive procedure used to diagnose and treat problems of the digestive tract - including gastrointestinal cancers. He is an expert in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatograph gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, small bowel, bile duct and colon).
Dr. Gelrud is highly skilled at performing transgastric pancreatic necrosectomy, a procedure to remove necrotic pancreatic tissue through the mouth using endoscopes, rather than through abdominal surgery. In addition, he provides endoscopic treatment of bariatric surgery complications, including stricture dilation, closure of fistulas and anastomotic ulcers.
Dr. Gelrud has served as the primary site investigator on several studies that examine the reasons why patients develop pancreatitis. He has a particular interest in exploring the relationship between genetics and diseases of the pancreas.
In addition to his clinical and research roles, Dr. Gelrud is an active educator and author. He has written more than 75 articles and abstracts in peer-reviewed journals and contributed to numerous English and Spanish language textbooks on digestive diseases. Dr. Gelrud currently serves on the Board of Directors of the National Pancreas Foundation.
After his Gastroenterology Fellowship, Dr. Gelrud spent an additional two years at Harvard - MIT, graduating with a Master Degree in Clinical Science (MMSc).
Conditions & Procedures
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux & GERD
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistulas
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Celiac Disease
- Colon Diseases & Polyps
- Gallbladder Disease
- H. Pylori
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Liver Disease
- Pancreatic Disease & Pancreatitis
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Capsule Endoscopy (Pill Cam)
- Colonoscopy (Screening & Diagnostic)
- EGD (Upper Endoscopy)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Enteroscopy (Small & Large Bowel)
- ERCP & Stents
- Esophageal Ablation
- Hemorrhoid Treatment & Banding
- PEG Placement
Having a procedure? It may not always be in the same location where you consulted with your doctor. Check with your doctor to make sure you’re headed to the right place.
Dr. Gelrud is the Director of the Pancreatic Disease Program at the Miami Cancer Institute at Baptist Health.
- View Publications for Dr. Andres Gelrud on Pubmed
- National Pancreas Foundation: www.pancreasfoundation.org
- Animate Pancreas Patient: www.animatedpancreaspatient.com
- Pancreas Animado: www.pancreasanimado.com
- Colonoscopy website: www.youandcolonoscopy.com
Board Certified in Gastroenterology
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- American Gastroenterology Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Pancreas Association
- Pancreas Club of North America