About Gregory L. Champion, MD, FACG
Dr. Champion joined Gastro Health in July 1994 and practices at our Brookwood care center. He obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Alabama and his medical degree from the University of South Alabama. He performed his internship, residency, and fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
During his training, Dr. Champion received awards for his research in esophageal and gastric disorders and was selected to the best physicians in Birmingham by US News and World Report.
Dr. Champion has been selected as one of Birmingham’s “Super Docs” by bMetro magazine and previously has been selected as one of three finalists for the Best Health Care Provider by the Birmingham Business Journal. He has been recognized as the “Most Compassionate Physician” by the staff at Brookwood medical Center and was the first physician to receive their award “You’ve Hit The Target” for patient care and community support.
He has an interest in esophageal disorders, inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer screening.
Dr. Champion is a member of the State Medical Association, American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterological Association, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America, and the Alabama Gastroenterological Society.
Dr. Champion is married to the former Laura Ann Napper. They have four children and attend Shades Mountain Baptist Church where they are active in teaching and in leadership. He and his family also regularly travel overseas to serve with various medical missions and projects.
Dr. Champion is in collaborative practice with:
David T. Bailey, PA-CView Profile
Conditions & Procedures
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux & GERD
- Anal Fistulas
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Colon Diseases & Polyps
- Colorectal (Colon) Cancer
- Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Capsule Endoscopy (Pill Cam)
- Colonoscopy (Screening & Diagnostic)
- EGD (Upper Endoscopy)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- PEG Placement
Having a procedure? It may not always be in the same location where you consulted with your doctor. Check with your doctor to make sure you’re headed to the right place.
Board Certified in Gastroenterology
Board Certified in Internal Medicine
Awards & Recognitions
- "Best Physicians in Birmingham" by US News and World Report
- "Birmingham Super Docs” by B-Metro magazine
- Finalist for "Best Health Care Provider" by the Birmingham Business Journal
- “Most Compassionate Physician” and “You’ve Hit The Target” for patient care and community support by Brookwood Medical Center
- State Medical Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
- Alabama Gastroenterological Society