About Kenneth R. Mirkin, MD, MA, AGAF
Pursuing his passion for music, Dr. Mirkin became Concert Master of an orchestra in his native New York City before he even entered college. He continued to follow his interest in music at the City University of New York, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts in Music and Psychology. He went on to earn a Masters in Psychology and realized his true interest was medicine.
Dr. Mirkin decided to pursue a medical degree, and after completing his fellowship in gastroenterology, opened a practice in Northern Virginia in 1983. Several years later, he merged his thriving practice with Drs. Garone and Scudera’s practice to form the foundation of Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia. In November 2019, Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia partnered with Gastro Health to establish the Gastro Health Virginia Division.
Dr. Mirkin has served as Chief of Gastroenterology at Inova Fairfax Hospital for 12 years and on the Medical Advisory Board of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) for more than a decade. Currently, he is the principal investigator in a number of ongoing clinical studies.
Over the past 30 years, Dr. Mirkin has been nominated several times by his peers as a Washingtonian “Top Doctor” and Northern Virginia Magazine “Top Doctor.” Earlier this year, Dr. Mirkin was selected by Becker’s Hospital Review as a “GI Leader To Know.”
Dr. Mirkin is currently accepting new patients.
Conditions & Procedures
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux & GERD
- Anal Fistulas
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Colon Diseases & Polyps
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Capsule Endoscopy (Pill Cam)
- Colonoscopy (Screening & Diagnostic)
- EGD (Upper Endoscopy)
- ERCP & Stents
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- PEG Placement
Having a procedure? It may not always be in the same location where you consulted with your doctor. Check with your doctor to make sure you’re headed to the right place.
Board Certified in Gastroenterology
Board Certified in Internal Medicine
Awards & Recognitions
- Northern Virignia Magazine, Top Doctor
- Washingtonian, Top op Doctor
- Becker's Hospital Review "GI Leader To Know"
- Medical Society of Northern Virginia
- American Gastroenterology Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
- Virginia State Medical Society
- Fairfax County Medical Society
- Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine
- Clinical Assistant Professor, George Washington University Hospital
- Chief of Gastroenterology at Inova Fairfax Hospital for 12 years